Wednesday 26 August 2009

Must We Always Fight?


The portrait you painted
was of a wounded man,
his emaciated face, with cropped hair
stared at me
for weeks.

The figure is standing straight
facing me
but I walked away
with an image of a bent man;
he was not broken
but the dark, grayish
red that has become
your signature of late
haunts the canvass
like a shroud.

The marks on his body
seemed like gashes,
they were long and vertical,
and deliberate.

The scene reminded me
of a Fairuz song;
something about the eyes of a woman
being mightier than the sword.

And I wondered why
he was cut
every time you looked at him.

Strange that you could only
talk of the Giacometti feet;
how determined
and grounded they were...

I saw them tired,
naked and cold.

It would have been a beautiful picture,
if it wasn't for the pain.

1 comment:

  1. The world would be a better place if more people could see the pain in others.

    Many years.

    IHS
    c.l.

    ReplyDelete