Saturday 22 August 2009

Days on the Mountain


Last night
the face of the moon was ragged.
And I did not need to turn over
the remains of your Turkish coffee cup
this morning
to speak of the coming days;
Fortuna's lines were drawn
with the first sip.

The old water heater was making a sad
wailing noise
interrupted by silences,
as if lamenting a death
or the soft cry of an animal in pain.

You always told me to look
for the signs of the universe
everywhere
in the simplest of places.
It talks to us, you said,
and sometimes we can hear it
but the words take strange shapes,
like a spider on a wall,
or a piece of string
crawled up and twisted
lying innocently, on the floor.

Yesterday, there was a mild earthquake
and the couch I was sitting on
rocked, gently
back and forth.
At first, I thought it was my heart
trying to shake me back
into one repose, or another.
But it was a nod from earth;
an agreement of sorts..

No comments:

Post a Comment